QUESTIONS YOU MAY WANT
LIVERPOOL HARMONY CLUB
THE GRAND NATIONAL CHORUS
Information sheet for potential new members
1 How long has the chorus been going ?
We’ve been singing continuously since 1974.
- 2 What sort of songs are sung?
- 3 What is four part harmony?
- 4 What does a cappella mean?
5 what can I expect from the club?
- support, especially during the first few months.
- friendship and good humour with our members.
- an introduction to some wonderful harmony and eventual involvement in enjoyable performances.
- 6 What will the club expect from me?
- regular attendance at rehearsals and performances.
- commitment to learning the songs we sing.
- a courtesy ‘phone call if unable to attend.
- respectful behaviour at all times.
- 7 What will it cost me?
- Nothing until your application for membership has been accepted, usually after a few weeks. As the club is obliged to pay rent, insurance, BABS subscription (currently £44 per member per year) and some stagewear, an annual fee of £150 is payable, though members tend to pay this weekly or monthly.
- 8 What is BABS?
- The British Association of Barbershop Singers of which we are members ( see its website for more information at http://www.singbarbershop.com.) This enables us to benefit from its wide range of resources including attending harmony college, conventions, regional gatherings and musical director meetings
- 9. Do I need to read music?
Not necessarily; teach CDs and lyrics are provided. Members are encouraged to learn from these at home rather than at rehearsals.
- 10 Where does the chorus perform?
At both private and public functions. Privately at weddings, parties, clubs and residential homes. Public performances include a Christmas show each year at Sefton Park Palm House and various music festivals.
- 11 Do I have to provide my uniform (stagewear)
- Members provide smart trousers (not chinos or jeans), shirt, shoes and socks all in black. The club provides yellow jacket, blue zip-up jacket (for arrival at venues), blue tie and any other accessories. Members pay a £30 deposit on their yellow jacket - returnable if they leave the club.
- Please ask further questions if necessary.
Liverpool Harmony Club warmly welcomes visitors and hopes they will return and wish to join the club.